In this week’s podcast, Lavon and Miss NiNi talk about foods for fall and sweet potatoes. Listen below or follow this link for more: http://www.kjan.com/index.php/2016/10/family-fun-in-the-kitchen-10-01-2016/
Slice sweet potatoes into rounds or larger shaped slices about 1/4” thick. Toss or spray with olive oil. Roast in oven at 425 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. Slice could also be cooked in a Panini grill. Add topping of your choice. Try spreading with Cranberry Chutney or use as a dip. Sweet potato rounds spread with bleu cheese topped with Cranberry Chutney would be pretty party appetizer and yummy too.
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 3/4 cups dried cranberries*
- 1 tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Combine apricots, brown sugar, raisins water and cranberries in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in apple, lemon zest and ginger simmer for 10 more minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon juice and red pepper flakes just before removing from heat. Serve at room temperature or chilled. May be frozen. Yields 10 servings.
*May use fresh substitute 3 cups fresh cranberries in season. Reduce water to 1 cup.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- Use chutney to spice up soups, sandwiches, dips, pasta and rice dishes.
- It is pretty on a plate as an accompaniment