Lavon and Miss NiNi discuss more about apples and share another recipe using apples. Listen below or follow this link for more: http://www.kjan.com/index.php/2016/10/family-fun-in-the-kitchen-10-08-2016/
CARAMEL APPLE POKE CAKE
- 1 box white cake mix plus the ingredients listed on the back of the box
- 1, 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1, 20-ounce can apple pie filling (minus 2 T. to be used in whipped topping)
- ½ c. caramel ice cream topping or caramel apple dip
- 1 T. chocolate syrup ice cream topping (or more depending on your preference)
- 1, 8-ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 T. apple pie filling from 20-ounce can—preferably without apple pieces
- ¼ c. caramel ice cream topping or caramel apple dip
- ½ t. ground cinnamon
Prepare a 9 x 13-inch cake according to directions on the box. Once cake is cooled, use a wooden spoon to poke holes evenly throughout the cake, making about 25-30 holes.
Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over cake, trying to fill up holes.
Combine apple pie filling, caramel topping/dip, and chocolate syrup in a medium size bowl. Microwave combined toppings for 15 seconds or until melted together and warm. Spread caramel apple topping evenly on top of cake, trying to get some in the holes.
Method for Whipped Topping:
Mix caramel ice cream topping/dip and 2 T. of apple pie filling into whipped topping container. Mix together until combined. Spread on top of cake.
Sprinkle cinnamon on top of whipped cream.
Refrigerate until ready to serve. The longer you refrigerate the cake, the more the flavors will seep into the cake and the moister the cake will be. Best to refrigerate overnight before serving.
Yields: 12 pieces